How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators

Ken Haddad
Ken Haddad

Carbon monoxide is known as the “invisible killer” due to being an odorless and colorless poisonous gas.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 900 people died between 2005 and 2017 of carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators in the U.S. The CPSC states that an average of nearly 80 people die yearly from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by portable generators.

Last year, officials found three people who died from potential carbon monoxide exposure at Michigan’s Faster Horses country music festival. Earlier this year, two people were found dead in their Detroit home, where officials found a generator in the kitchen.

Here are some safety tips when using a portable generator:

  • Operate portable generators outside only, at least 20 feet from the house.
  • Never operate a portable generator inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace, shed or porch.
  • When purchasing a generator, ask retailers if it is equipped with a safety feature to shut off automatically when high CO concentrations are present.
  • Install battery-operated CO alarms on every level of your home.

Below are symptoms of CO poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Mental confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of muscular coordination
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Ultimately death

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 1 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.