How do I transfer a car title in Michigan?

Ken Haddad
Ken Haddad

Currently, you must make an appointment at a physical Michigan SOS office.

Present the original title (photocopies or titles that have been modified, such as crossing out a name, cannot be accepted) with:

  • Your signature– All titled owners must sign when the title is transferred. Owners who can’t visit an office to sign the title may appoint an agent to sign on their behalf by completing an Appointment of Agent form.
  • Seller’s signature– The seller must complete and sign the seller’s portion of the title if they don’t plan to visit a Secretary of State office with you.
  • Odometer disclosure statement– Ensure the odometer reading is accurately recorded on the title. If space is not provided on the title, complete and submit an Odometer Mileage Statement.
  • Statement from loan provider– If there was a loan against the vehicle, provide the lien termination statement or signed title from the financial institution that administered the loan. If there is an active loan on the title, a letter of authorization from the lienholder must be submitted with the title application.
  • You also will need to bring your Michigan driver’s license or ID.


  • $15 – Title transfer fee
  • $10 to $15 – Plate transfer fee (varies depending on whether the vehicle receiving the plate was bought in a private sale or sold to a family member)
  • 6 percent sales tax (not collected for vehicle sales to immediate family members)
  • $12 – Recreation Passport (optional)

A $15 late fee will be charged if the title isn’t transferred within 15 days of the sale.

Secretary of State offices accept payment by cash, check, money order, or credit or debit card (additional fees apply).

Was this article helpful?

13 out of 17 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.