Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? This page provides information on how to apply for an extension of time to file. Please be aware that:
- An extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your taxes.
- You should estimate and pay any owed taxes by your regular deadline to help avoid possible penalties.
- You must file your extension request no later than the regular due date of your return.
E-file Your Extension Form for Free
Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can use Free File to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.
- Filing this form gives you until October 15 to file a return.
- If October 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day. Your return is considered filed on time if the envelope is properly addressed, postmarked, and deposited in the mail by the due date.
- To get the extension, you must estimate your tax liability on this form and should also pay any amount due.
Get an extension when you make a payment
You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.
Extension Forms by Filing Status
Special rules may apply if you are:
Business and Corporations
- Form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns
- Form 1138, Extension of Time for Payment of Taxes by a Corporation Expecting a Net Operating Loss Carryback
- Form 2350, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Return (For U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad Who Expect To Qualify for Special Tax Treatment)
- Form 4768, Application for Extension of Time to File a Return and/or Pay U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Taxes
- Form 5558, Application for Extension of Time to File Certain Employee Plan Returns
- Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns
- Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time To File an Exempt Organization Return
- Form 8892, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Form 709 and/or Payment of Gift/Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax