How can I apply for rental assistance/subsidized housing in Michigan?

Ken Haddad
Ken Haddad

If you’re experiencing an emergency forcing you to move or become homeless, apply for State Emergency Relief. You may be eligible for help with Rental Deposit Assistance, security deposits, moving expenses, and/or Relocation Assistance. Apply through MI Bridges.

The Housing Choice Voucher Program(Section 8) pays for a portion of the rent for eligible low-income renters. Contact your county’s Public Housing Agency for more information or locate a participating development.

If your county has an open waiting list for a Section 8 vacancy, see when the list opens or closes. Then ,apply online to an open list. To check your status, go to the Applicant Portal approximately 48 hours after your application has been submitted.

Developers participating in HUD receive a tax credit that reduces the cost of rent. Find low-income participating properties using the HUD Resource Locator or HUD Resource Locator App available for iPhone.

Was this article helpful?

3 out of 6 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.