What resources are available for veterans dealing with a housing emergency?

Ken Haddad
Ken Haddad
  • Updated

If you’re experiencing or will experience homelessness, contact the Homeless Veteran Chat service, call the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 877-424-3838, or quickly locate a VA Medical Center.

If you are not yet homeless, The Good Will outlines steps you can take now to prevent homelessness. You may be eligible for emergency assistance programs that help pay rent, utilities, or bills. Contact Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF) at877- 509-8387. If you are at risk of being evicted, apply for State Emergency Relief through MI Bridges.

Additionally, services provided by the Salvation Army, Operation Home Front, and Catholic Charities help with emergency and transitional housing, meals, and grooming.

The HUD-VASH Vouchers program helps homeless Veterans and their families find and sustain permanent housing. Call the National Homeless Veteran Call Center at 877-424-3838 for more information.

Private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies, issue VA Home Loans. The VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms. Help may also be available for adapting a new or existing home to accommodate a disability, or for catching up on delinquent loans.

Was this article helpful?

1 out of 2 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.